Тема: English chat. Общение на английском

Ответить в теме
Страница 2 из 9 ПерваяПервая 1 2 3 4 ... ПоследняяПоследняя
Показано с 21 по 40 из 180
  1. Вверх #21
    Посетитель Аватар для Faria
    Цитата Сообщение от Bagirapuss Посмотреть сообщение
    Hi, everyone!

Nice to see new people. Faria, you made only a couple of mistakes: it's "join you" (without any prepositions), and "practice" is uncountable, so you cannot use the indefinite article with it. It is better to say "some practice". And it's "if I made any mistakes" (because of "if").
    Thank you for your corrections!

But isn't it a bit boring to speak about mistakes all the time? Let's suggest some topics to discuss. For instance, what do you think of this new law about regional languages? It is rather interesting for me, because ever since the start of Ukrainian independence, this is the first "campaign promise" a political force ever fulfilled. Do you think it is going to be any good?
    With regard to the law about regional languages, I do not support it. It’s the very contradictory law. I’m not shure we really need it.
    What good we can get from this law?
    On the one hand:
    Many things will be on regional and ukrainian languages: education, signs with street names, TV and radio programs, resolutions taken by the local authorities, advertisement.
    But we had all this things on our regional language before.
    On the other hand:
    It is a very convenient cost item which helps our government to launder money.
    We have to pay for implement this law from the budget, it would be better spend this money on something another.
    I think we have much more importent problems. It’s only the canvassing.
    Последний раз редактировалось Faria; 24.08.2012 в 11:05.

2. Вверх #22
    Постоялец форума Аватар для Bagirapuss
    Цитата Сообщение от Lika-- Посмотреть сообщение
    It is great that they are actually doing what they promised to do, but they never do it if there is no real advnatge for them. So I'm kind of suspicious of this all... and it looks like the new law will lead to some more "money laundry", but this is a usual thing for our country. On the other hand, it's nice that our kids will finaly have a choice whether to have chemistry class in Russian or Ukrainian. However, I think everybody understands if you want to have a good, well-paid job, it is better if you obtain your education in the official state language.

Are you going to order them on the Internet? In America they have hundreds of board games and this is wonderful. Unfortunately, I don't think we can brag about having that many of them... one american asked me to tell him the names of some typically Russian board games and i couldn't think of more than 3. I was thinking of getting some fun and easy board games both in English and in Russian for my kids...

P.S. I would love to get together and play some games again. It was really interesting and fun!=)
    Oh, after all these years of the Soviet regime, and the Ukrainian independence after, just anything the guys at the top promise, say, or do, looks and sounds suspicious! I fully agree with you aboput the "money laundry" thing. On the other hand, the kids and the students do have a choice now, which is great. And I have noticed another good thing: people whose documents were issued in Russian can now save some money on notary services. There is no more need to have every single paper translated into Ukrainian, and to have it notarized. That process was not cheap, and rather time-consuming, so it seems to be some advantage.

About the games: I didn't actually bother with ordering anything from Internet. I needed "Words on the Street" for my immersion, for one definite topic (environmental problems and conservation). I couldn't have used the task cards of the basic set Victor is using. That one is great for a club session, but not for lessons or immersions. What I did, I just made a game-board (it's easy to make, we even made two sets), and I prepared my own set of cards suiting our topic. It went great, and I am now preparing another set - for Business English. John has adapted it for the lowest levels - he is showing it at our workshop tomorrow, so we'll see how it works.
    Yes, board games in general are really useful, and a lot of fun, we do use some, and some are even included in resource packs for "Headway". But this one is kind of universal, it can be adapted for a number of purposes, that's why I like it so much.
    Английский на каждый день и для особых случаев

3. Вверх #23
    Цитата Сообщение от Faria Посмотреть сообщение
    Thank you for your corrections!

With regard to the law about regional languages, I do not support it. It’s a very contradictory law. I’m not shure we really need it.
    What good we can get from this law?
    On (no article) one hand:
    Many things will be in regional languages and in Ukrainian: education, signs with street names, TV and radio programs, resolutions taken by the local authorities, advertisement.
    But we had all these things on our regional language before.
    On the other hand:
    It is a very convenient cost item which helps our government (no particle) launder money.
    We have to pay forthe implementation of this law from the budget, it would be better spend this money on something else.
    I think we have much more important problems. It’s only a kind of canvassing.
    Faria, I hope you don't mind if I make corrections like this, in the quote. It's just easier for me. I changed it the way I would say it - if you don't understand the reason for correction, just ask, I'll explain with pleasure.
    I can see that you have some problem with the use of "other", "another", "the other", "the others", right?
    So, the word "another" has the indefinite article "an" in it. It means that you cannot use it with plural or uncountable nouns (in other words, it is wrong to say "another pencils", or "another money"). With such nouns, it is correct to use "other" or "the other", or, like in your post, "else":
    - ...spend the money on something else...
    - This pencil is broken, use the other one (there are only two pencils)
    - This pencil is broken, use another one (there are more than two pencils)
    - Other kids laugh at him because he is left-handed

As for the subject: I do agree they are laundering money, however, they are always doing this, it's nothing new, is it? But in this particular case, as I can see, some average guys are gaining an opportunity to save something...

4. Вверх #24
    Не покидает форум Аватар для ValVed
    Hi there, I'd love to join your club.
    Радуюсь успехам людей, как своим, но пока еще не реализованным!

5. Вверх #25
    Цитата Сообщение от ValVed Посмотреть сообщение
    Hi there, I'd love to join your club.
    Hi! Welcome on board. Are you professional in English, or is it a hobby for you?

6. Вверх #26
    English ismy 3th language. I had a lot of English practice but only with one person,+TV, shopping, books and etc. I’d love tospeak English with somebody couple times per week. I do not believe that I can improvemy spelling without writing in English but I am lazy to do it. So, I am going to spent fall in Odessa, and Ihave time for meetings.
    Последний раз редактировалось ValVed; 26.08.2012 в 12:05.

7. Вверх #27
    English ismy 3th language. I had a lot of English practice but only with one person,+TV, shopping, books and etc. I’d love tospeak English with somebody couple times per week. I do not believe that I can improvemy spelling without writing in English but I am lazy to do it. So, I am going to spent fall in Odessa, and Ihave time for meetings.
    It's cool to know several languages! And from what you have written so far, I don't see any problem with your spelling, though grammar and style definitely could be better.
    Of course, you will have a lot of opportunities to visit speaking clubs - practically every decent language school has one. I work in "Lingva" (12, Uspenskaya str.), and our speaking club is on Saturdays at 4. Besides, there are really enjoyable meetings organised by Князь Волконский, they meet once a week in "Профитроли" in the French Boulevard. Find the thread "English games club" at this forum for more detail.

8. Вверх #28
    Посетитель Аватар для Lika--
    About the games: I didn't actually bother with ordering anything from Internet. I needed "Words on the Street" for my immersion, for one definite topic (environmental problems and conservation). I couldn't have used the task cards of the basic set Victor is using. That one is great for a club session, but not for lessons or immersions. What I did, I just made a game-board (it's easy to make, we even made two sets), and I prepared my own set of cards suiting our topic. It went great, and I am now preparing another set - for Business English. John has adapted it for the lowest levels - he is showing it at our workshop tomorrow, so we'll see how it works.
    Yes, board games in general are really useful, and a lot of fun, we do use some, and some are even included in resource packs for "Headway". But this one is kind of universal, it can be adapted for a number of purposes, that's why I like it so much.
    The fact that these kinds of games actually help immensely is obvious. I use some of "home-made" games with my students too, but right now I am in the process of applying the same technique with math and russian alphabet for my eldest son.... It takes so much creativity and time with a three-year-old.
    Не ждите чуда - чудите сами!

9. Вверх #29
    Посетитель Аватар для Lika--
    And what are your other two languages?
    Не ждите чуда - чудите сами!

10. Вверх #30
    Посетитель Аватар для Faria
    Faria, I hope you don't mind if I make corrections like this, in the quote. It's just easier for me. I changed it the way I would say it - if you don't understand the reason for correction, just ask, I'll explain with pleasure.
    I can see that you have some problem with the use of "other", "another", "the other", "the others", right?
    So, the word "another" has the indefinite article "an" in it. It means that you cannot use it with plural or uncountable nouns (in other words, it is wrong to say "another pencils", or "another money"). With such nouns, it is correct to use "other" or "the other", or, like in your post, "else":
    Thank you for taking the time to correct my mistakes! It is very usefull for me! It would be perfect if you explain me why we use “a” in this sentence “It’s a very contradictory law”. I thought we use “a” with a count noun the first time we say.

As for the subject: I do agree they are laundering money, however, they are always doing this, it's nothing new, is it? But in this particular case, as I can see, some average guys are gaining an opportunity to save something...
    Yes, it’s true. But I think we had enough laws before. It's a pity they are not implemented…

Share your secrets how do you teach 3 foreign languages?
    Последний раз редактировалось Faria; 27.08.2012 в 22:15.

11. Вверх #31
    Thank you for taking the time to correct my mistakes! It is very usefull for me! It would be perfect if you explain me why we use “a” in this sentence “It’s a very contradictory law”. I thought we use “a” with a count noun the first time we say.
    Aha! Thanks, this is a very typical mistake, it will be very useful to explain it here.
    So, let's compare two sentences you could have used in your context:

- The law is very contradictory.
    - This is a very contradictory law.

They are both correct this way, and both could be used in your post. The first one clearly falls under the rule you tried to use: the SUBJECT ("law") is mentioned for the second time, so you use the definite article. But this rule only works when this word ("law") plays the role of grammatical SUBJECT in the sentence:

SUBJECT: the law
    PREDICATE: is contradictory

Let's now take the second sentence, the one you actually used.
    Is the word "law" subject here? No, it isn't.

SUBJECT: this
    PREDICATE: is a law
    ATTRIBUTE: (very) contradictory

Here, the word "law" is part of a predicate. The rule we go by in this case is: "a" = "one of two or more". There are a lot of laws in Ukraine, and this one is only one of them.
    In such cases, "the" can go only with superlative adjectives.
    Compare:

- This is the most contradictory law I ever heard of.

Yes, it’s true. But I think we had enough laws before. It's a pity they are not implemented…
    In fact, I even think we have too many, and it is high time to get rid of half of them But, you know, as the Chinese saying goes, "Even the longest journey starts with one single step" (In fact, I just hate being pessimistic )

12. Вверх #32
    Посетитель Аватар для Мояришка
    Oh, I see the problem now. Indeed, even your posts show how much you need English speaking practice. For instance, you probably mean "...if I can communicate...", right? And your word order is Russian, too.
    It seems rather useful to communicate in English here. On the other hand, it's just writing again, though... Why don't you attend some speaking clubs? There are many in Odessa, and many of them are free.
    which one is free? Can you give me an adress?

13. Вверх #33

Bagirapuss, I thought it would be right to say: "it's nothing new, isn't it?". Am I wrong?

14. Вверх #34
    Цитата Сообщение от Мояришка Посмотреть сообщение
    Bagirapuss, I thought it would be right to say: "it's nothing new, isn't it?". Am I wrong?
    Bagirapuss used “nothing” it is negative so if we use is it – Pravda li?
    isn't it – ne Pravda li? We cannot use double negative.
    Please forgive me, if I am wrong. I’ve never studied English grammar in my life. So, I can bemistaking.
    My first Englishteacher was Jessica Lambert from “Murder, she wrote”, then chefs from Fod network channel, books, American horses and dogs, just kiddingJ Now I am really sorry about it, but it is to late.
    I do speak 3 languages: Russian, Ukrainian, and English. I’ve never said I speak 3 foreigner languages J

15. Вверх #35
    Please forgive me, if I am wrong. I’ve never studied English grammar in my life. So, I can bemistaking.
    My first Englishteacher was Jessica Lambert from “Murder, she wrote”, then chefs from Fod network channel, books, American horses and dogs, just kiddingJ Now I am really sorry about it, but it is to late.
    I do speak 3 languages: Russian, Ukrainian, and English. I’ve never said I speak 3 foreigner languages J
    oh thanks for the explanation, it really looks like you're right.

16. Вверх #36
    Please forgive me, if I am wrong. I’ve never studied English grammar in my life. So, I can be mistaken.
    My first Englishteacher was Jessica Lambert from “Murder, she wrote”, then chefs from Fod network channel, books, American horses and dogs, just kiddingJ Now I am really sorry about it, but it is too late.
    Yes, you are exactly right, and your explanation is very clear. One would never believe your never having studied English grammar! Well done!

17. Вверх #37
    which one is free? Can you give me an adress?
    Find the thread called "English Games Club" at this forum. They meet in "Profitroli" in French Boulevard once a week, and it is really inspiring and useful. I loved it, and there was a lady with really low level of English at that session, and we were quite able to communicate (thanks to the games!). It seems to me that she was enjoying it a lot, too.
    Apart from that, practically every school has a speaking club, and it is common practice that it is free for the students of this school, and costs a really symbolic price for everybody else (in our school it's 25 hrn., and I think it's around the same in other schools)

18. Вверх #38
    Новичок Аватар для Анатолий89
    Oh my God. What are you talking about))) I want to learn English((

19. Вверх #39
    Цитата Сообщение от Анатолий89 Посмотреть сообщение
    Oh my God. What are you talking about))) I want to learn English((
    That's what we're doing! Welcome on board, join in, and suggest a topic!

20. Вверх #40
    Посетитель Аватар для kapkanda
    well, Мояришка, you are wrong. Bagirapuss said it correctly. And you, Мояришка, rather than spending so much time either on spying or on loooking for bargains, you'd better open some grammar reference book and brush up on your tag questions. Sorry, шо и в эту дуру я тоже залез. but every time I read your comments I feel rather tempted to do so
    Улыбайтесь, господа, улыбайтесь! Умное выражение лица - еще не признак ума.

Ответить в теме
Страница 2 из 9 ПерваяПервая 1 2 3 4 ... ПоследняяПоследняя