PDA

Просмотр полной версии : English chat. Общение на английском

Larisa_F
08.05.2012, 06:34
Тема для всех кто усердствует в изучении английского, не важно как далеко вы от старта в этом нелегком деле.)) Переписываясь на любые тему на английском языке мы сможем пополнить словарный запас и улучшить наш английский.

Subject to all who strive to learn English, no matter how far you are from the start in this difficult matter.)) Communicating to any topic in English, we can fill up your vocabulary and improve our English.
P.S. Unfortunately my English is not perfect, if you notice mistakes please point to them.
Присоединяйтесь!)

Larisa_F
26.07.2012, 14:18
How long ago did you start learning english?

Jiv4ik
02.08.2012, 13:14
Наверное форум не совсем удобен в качестве "чата", может лучше пробовать общение в ICQ, Skype,Gtalk или аналогах?

Larisa_F
14.08.2012, 05:37
Why? On another forums it is very much alive. Here it is not so, it make me bit upset.( But maybe it is just beginning)

Инь_Ян
20.08.2012, 08:15
I need English for my work, but I can`t use it free. Mostly with Google translate)

Larisa_F
21.08.2012, 10:23
I share a secret with you. Often, I have to use it too)))

Bagirapuss
21.08.2012, 15:54
I need English for my work, but I can`t use it free. Mostly with Google translate)

Did you write this with Google translate, too? What do you need to do with English at your job: read, write, answer the phone?
If you allow me to correct mistakes: in this context, "free" isn't a good choice. Say "freely", or, better, "fluently".

Инь_Ян
22.08.2012, 08:08
Did you write this with Google translate, too? What do you need to do with English at your job: read, write, answer the phone?
If you allow me to correct mistakes: in this context, "free" isn't a good choice. Say "freely", or, better, "fluently".
thanks. I translate some word with Google translate. I must read, write and speak english at my job. Undestand text and write I can with dictionary but speaking it not for me, because my pronunciation is worst. Some times I learn english at LingvuaLeo service. I think my english can be better only if I can communication with english-speakers.

Bagirapuss
22.08.2012, 14:39
Oh, I see the problem now. Indeed, even your posts show how much you need English speaking practice. For instance, you probably mean "...if I can communicate...", right? And your word order is Russian, too.
It seems rather useful to communicate in English here. On the other hand, it's just writing again, though... Why don't you attend some speaking clubs? There are many in Odessa, and many of them are free.

Инь_Ян
22.08.2012, 15:10
I have not time

Bagirapuss
22.08.2012, 15:16
I have not time

No time? But clubs are on Saturdays! Do you work at week-ends?

Faria
22.08.2012, 18:31
Hi, guys! Can I join to you? I think it's a very useful branch of the forum. I started to learn English many years ago, but I don't use it now and forget it. I hope we will help each other to learn something new and get a practice:)
P.S. If I made some mistakes, it would be nice to correct them with your help.

Инь_Ян
23.08.2012, 07:39
No time? But clubs are on Saturdays! Do you work on week-ends?
Saturdays is one day at week, when I can make something at home(clean, cook and ect.). But can you tell me about this clubs? I don not heart about it early, may be later I can use this opportunity.

Инь_Ян
23.08.2012, 07:40
Hi, guys! Can I join to you? I think it's a very useful branch of the forum. I started to learn English many years ago, but I don't use it now and forget it. I hope we will help each other to learn something new and get a practice:)
Welcome)

luntik99
23.08.2012, 14:07
Hi, people ! If I have low level of English, can I to enter into this talking club ?

Larisa_F
23.08.2012, 14:53

Welcome!) I'm glad to see new avatar here)

Bagirapuss
23.08.2012, 15:24
Hi, everyone!

Nice to see new people. Faria, you made only a couple of mistakes: it's "join you" (without any prepositions), and "practice" is uncountable, so you cannot use the indefinite article with it. It is better to say "some practice". And it's "if I made any mistakes" (because of "if").

But isn't it a bit boring to speak about mistakes all the time? Let's suggest some topics to discuss. For instance, what do you think of this new law about regional languages? It is rather interesting for me, because ever since the start of Ukrainian independence, this is the first "campaign promise" a political force ever fulfilled. Do you think it is going to be any good?

Инь_Ян, in our school, for instance, there is a speaking club session every Saturday at 16.00. We usually ask a native speaker to run it. Sometimes I can do it, or another local teacher. We choose a topic to discuss, and sometimes we just speak, sometimes there is a video, or a song to learn. This year am planning some board games that help build up vocabulary: I have tried them at my lessons and immersions, and the students seem to enjoy them a lot.
A club session only lasts 90-120 minutes, so I think you can afford it even in spite of your house chores. As for money - it is cheap, just 25 hrn. for guests, and free for our students.

Lika--
24.08.2012, 09:04
For instance, what do you think of this new law about regional languages? It is rather interesting for me, because ever since the start of Ukrainian independence, this is the first "campaign promise" a political force ever fulfilled. Do you think it is going to be any good?

It is great that they are actually doing what they promised to do, but they never do it if there is no real advnatge for them. So I'm kind of suspicious of this all... and it looks like the new law will lead to some more "money laundry", but this is a usual thing for our country. On the other hand, it's nice that our kids will finaly have a choice whether to have chemistry class in Russian or Ukrainian. However, I think everybody understands if you want to have a good, well-paid job, it is better if you obtain your education in the official state language.

This year am planning some board games that help build up vocabulary
Are you going to order them on the Internet? In America they have hundreds of board games and this is wonderful. Unfortunately, I don't think we can brag about having that many of them... one american asked me to tell him the names of some typically Russian board games and i couldn't think of more than 3. I was thinking of getting some fun and easy board games both in English and in Russian for my kids...

P.S. I would love to get together and play some games again. It was really interesting and fun!=)

Larisa_F
24.08.2012, 09:41
It seems rather useful to communicate in English here.On the other hand, it's just writing again, though... Why don't you attend some speaking clubs? There are many in Odessa, and many of them are free.

In order to achieve a decent level of English, we have to use different methods.
This method is good because you can get used to express your thinks in
Englis.
P.S. If anybody point on my mistakes, I'll say thank you.)

Lika--
24.08.2012, 10:32
In order to achieve a decent level of English, we have to use different methods.
This method is good because you can get used to express your thinks in
Englis.
P.S. If anybody point on my mistakes, I'll say thank you.)

Get used to expressing your thoughts, anybody points to

Faria
24.08.2012, 10:51
Hi, everyone!

Nice to see new people. Faria, you made only a couple of mistakes: it's "join you" (without any prepositions), and "practice" is uncountable, so you cannot use the indefinite article with it. It is better to say "some practice". And it's "if I made any mistakes" (because of "if").
Thank you for your corrections!

But isn't it a bit boring to speak about mistakes all the time? Let's suggest some topics to discuss. For instance, what do you think of this new law about regional languages? It is rather interesting for me, because ever since the start of Ukrainian independence, this is the first "campaign promise" a political force ever fulfilled. Do you think it is going to be any good?

With regard to the law about regional languages, I do not support it. It’s the very contradictory law. I’m not shure we really need it.
What good we can get from this law?
On the one hand:
Many things will be on regional and ukrainian languages: education, signs with street names, TV and radio programs, resolutions taken by the local authorities, advertisement.
But we had all this things on our regional language before.
On the other hand:
It is a very convenient cost item which helps our government to launder money.
We have to pay for implement this law from the budget, it would be better spend this money on something another.
I think we have much more importent problems. It’s only the canvassing.

Bagirapuss
24.08.2012, 13:39
It is great that they are actually doing what they promised to do, but they never do it if there is no real advnatge for them. So I'm kind of suspicious of this all... and it looks like the new law will lead to some more "money laundry", but this is a usual thing for our country. On the other hand, it's nice that our kids will finaly have a choice whether to have chemistry class in Russian or Ukrainian. However, I think everybody understands if you want to have a good, well-paid job, it is better if you obtain your education in the official state language.

Are you going to order them on the Internet? In America they have hundreds of board games and this is wonderful. Unfortunately, I don't think we can brag about having that many of them... one american asked me to tell him the names of some typically Russian board games and i couldn't think of more than 3. I was thinking of getting some fun and easy board games both in English and in Russian for my kids...

P.S. I would love to get together and play some games again. It was really interesting and fun!=)

Oh, after all these years of the Soviet regime, and the Ukrainian independence after, just anything the guys at the top promise, say, or do, looks and sounds suspicious! I fully agree with you aboput the "money laundry" thing. On the other hand, the kids and the students do have a choice now, which is great. And I have noticed another good thing: people whose documents were issued in Russian can now save some money on notary services. There is no more need to have every single paper translated into Ukrainian, and to have it notarized. That process was not cheap, and rather time-consuming, so it seems to be some advantage.

About the games: I didn't actually bother with ordering anything from Internet. I needed "Words on the Street" for my immersion, for one definite topic (environmental problems and conservation). I couldn't have used the task cards of the basic set Victor is using. That one is great for a club session, but not for lessons or immersions. What I did, I just made a game-board (it's easy to make, we even made two sets), and I prepared my own set of cards suiting our topic. It went great, and I am now preparing another set - for Business English. John has adapted it for the lowest levels - he is showing it at our workshop tomorrow, so we'll see how it works.
Yes, board games in general are really useful, and a lot of fun, we do use some, and some are even included in resource packs for "Headway". But this one is kind of universal, it can be adapted for a number of purposes, that's why I like it so much.

Bagirapuss
24.08.2012, 14:05
Thank you for your corrections!

With regard to the law about regional languages, I do not support it. It’s a very contradictory law. I’m not shure we really need it.
What good we can get from this law?
On (no article) one hand:
Many things will be in regional languages and in Ukrainian: education, signs with street names, TV and radio programs, resolutions taken by the local authorities, advertisement.
But we had all these things on our regional language before.
On the other hand:
It is a very convenient cost item which helps our government (no particle) launder money.
We have to pay forthe implementation of this law from the budget, it would be better spend this money on something else.
I think we have much more important problems. It’s only a kind of canvassing.

Faria, I hope you don't mind if I make corrections like this, in the quote. It's just easier for me. I changed it the way I would say it - if you don't understand the reason for correction, just ask, I'll explain with pleasure.
I can see that you have some problem with the use of "other", "another", "the other", "the others", right?
So, the word "another" has the indefinite article "an" in it. It means that you cannot use it with plural or uncountable nouns (in other words, it is wrong to say "another pencils", or "another money"). With such nouns, it is correct to use "other" or "the other", or, like in your post, "else":
- ...spend the money on something else...
- This pencil is broken, use the other one (there are only two pencils)
- This pencil is broken, use another one (there are more than two pencils)
- Other kids laugh at him because he is left-handed

As for the subject: I do agree they are laundering money, however, they are always doing this, it's nothing new, is it? But in this particular case, as I can see, some average guys are gaining an opportunity to save something...

ValVed
26.08.2012, 10:11
Hi there, I'd love to join your club.

Bagirapuss
26.08.2012, 10:24
Hi there, I'd love to join your club.

Hi! Welcome on board. Are you professional in English, or is it a hobby for you?

ValVed
26.08.2012, 12:01
English ismy 3th language. I had a lot of English practice but only with one person,+TV, shopping, books and etc. I’d love tospeak English with somebody couple times per week. I do not believe that I can improvemy spelling without writing in English but I am lazy to do it. So, I am going to spent fall in Odessa, and Ihave time for meetings.

Bagirapuss
26.08.2012, 14:23
English ismy 3th language. I had a lot of English practice but only with one person,+TV, shopping, books and etc. I’d love tospeak English with somebody couple times per week. I do not believe that I can improvemy spelling without writing in English but I am lazy to do it. So, I am going to spent fall in Odessa, and Ihave time for meetings.
It's cool to know several languages! And from what you have written so far, I don't see any problem with your spelling, though grammar and style definitely could be better.
Of course, you will have a lot of opportunities to visit speaking clubs - practically every decent language school has one. I work in "Lingva" (12, Uspenskaya str.), and our speaking club is on Saturdays at 4. Besides, there are really enjoyable meetings organised by Князь Волконский, they meet once a week in "Профитроли" in the French Boulevard. Find the thread "English games club" at this forum for more detail.

Lika--
27.08.2012, 11:14
About the games: I didn't actually bother with ordering anything from Internet. I needed "Words on the Street" for my immersion, for one definite topic (environmental problems and conservation). I couldn't have used the task cards of the basic set Victor is using. That one is great for a club session, but not for lessons or immersions. What I did, I just made a game-board (it's easy to make, we even made two sets), and I prepared my own set of cards suiting our topic. It went great, and I am now preparing another set - for Business English. John has adapted it for the lowest levels - he is showing it at our workshop tomorrow, so we'll see how it works.
Yes, board games in general are really useful, and a lot of fun, we do use some, and some are even included in resource packs for "Headway". But this one is kind of universal, it can be adapted for a number of purposes, that's why I like it so much.

The fact that these kinds of games actually help immensely is obvious. I use some of "home-made" games with my students too, but right now I am in the process of applying the same technique with math and russian alphabet for my eldest son.... It takes so much creativity and time with a three-year-old.

Lika--
27.08.2012, 11:17

And what are your other two languages?

Faria
27.08.2012, 22:08
Faria, I hope you don't mind if I make corrections like this, in the quote. It's just easier for me. I changed it the way I would say it - if you don't understand the reason for correction, just ask, I'll explain with pleasure.
I can see that you have some problem with the use of "other", "another", "the other", "the others", right?
So, the word "another" has the indefinite article "an" in it. It means that you cannot use it with plural or uncountable nouns (in other words, it is wrong to say "another pencils", or "another money"). With such nouns, it is correct to use "other" or "the other", or, like in your post, "else":

Thank you for taking the time to correct my mistakes! It is very usefull for me!:rose: It would be perfect if you explain me why we use “a” in this sentence “It’s a very contradictory law”. I thought we use “a” with a count noun the first time we say.

As for the subject: I do agree they are laundering money, however, they are always doing this, it's nothing new, is it? But in this particular case, as I can see, some average guys are gaining an opportunity to save something...

Yes, it’s true. But I think we had enough laws before. It's a pity they are not implemented…

Share your secrets how do you teach 3 foreign languages?:)

Bagirapuss
28.08.2012, 12:47
Thank you for taking the time to correct my mistakes! It is very usefull for me!:rose: It would be perfect if you explain me why we use “a” in this sentence “It’s a very contradictory law”. I thought we use “a” with a count noun the first time we say.

Aha! Thanks, this is a very typical mistake, it will be very useful to explain it here.
So, let's compare two sentences you could have used in your context:

- The law is very contradictory.
- This is a very contradictory law.

They are both correct this way, and both could be used in your post. The first one clearly falls under the rule you tried to use: the SUBJECT ("law") is mentioned for the second time, so you use the definite article. But this rule only works when this word ("law") plays the role of grammatical SUBJECT in the sentence:

SUBJECT: the law
PREDICATE: is contradictory

Let's now take the second sentence, the one you actually used.
Is the word "law" subject here? No, it isn't.

SUBJECT: this
PREDICATE: is a law
ATTRIBUTE: (very) contradictory

Here, the word "law" is part of a predicate. The rule we go by in this case is: "a" = "one of two or more". There are a lot of laws in Ukraine, and this one is only one of them.
In such cases, "the" can go only with superlative adjectives.
Compare:

- This is the most contradictory law I ever heard of.

Yes, it’s true. But I think we had enough laws before. It's a pity they are not implemented…

In fact, I even think we have too many, and it is high time to get rid of half of them :) But, you know, as the Chinese saying goes, "Even the longest journey starts with one single step" (In fact, I just hate being pessimistic :))

Мояришка
29.08.2012, 23:19
Oh, I see the problem now. Indeed, even your posts show how much you need English speaking practice. For instance, you probably mean "...if I can communicate...", right? And your word order is Russian, too.
It seems rather useful to communicate in English here. On the other hand, it's just writing again, though... Why don't you attend some speaking clubs? There are many in Odessa, and many of them are free.

which one is free? Can you give me an adress?

Мояришка
29.08.2012, 23:33

Bagirapuss, I thought it would be right to say: "it's nothing new, isn't it?". Am I wrong?

ValVed
30.08.2012, 09:08
Bagirapuss, I thought it would be right to say: "it's nothing new, isn't it?". Am I wrong?

Bagirapuss used “nothing” it is negative so if we use is it – Pravda li?
isn't it – ne Pravda li? We cannot use double negative.
Please forgive me, if I am wrong. I’ve never studied English grammar in my life. So, I can bemistaking.
My first Englishteacher was Jessica Lambert from “Murder, she wrote”, then chefs from Fod network channel, books, American horses and dogs, just kiddingJ Now I am really sorry about it, but it is to late.
I do speak 3 languages: Russian, Ukrainian, and English. I’ve never said I speak 3 foreigner languages J

Мояришка
30.08.2012, 12:27
Please forgive me, if I am wrong. I’ve never studied English grammar in my life. So, I can bemistaking.
My first Englishteacher was Jessica Lambert from “Murder, she wrote”, then chefs from Fod network channel, books, American horses and dogs, just kiddingJ Now I am really sorry about it, but it is to late.
I do speak 3 languages: Russian, Ukrainian, and English. I’ve never said I speak 3 foreigner languages J

oh thanks for the explanation, it really looks like you're right.

Bagirapuss
30.08.2012, 15:01
Please forgive me, if I am wrong. I’ve never studied English grammar in my life. So, I can be mistaken.
My first Englishteacher was Jessica Lambert from “Murder, she wrote”, then chefs from Fod network channel, books, American horses and dogs, just kiddingJ Now I am really sorry about it, but it is too late.

Yes, you are exactly right, and your explanation is very clear. One would never believe your never having studied English grammar! Well done!

Bagirapuss
30.08.2012, 15:26

Find the thread called "English Games Club" at this forum. They meet in "Profitroli" in French Boulevard once a week, and it is really inspiring and useful. I loved it, and there was a lady with really low level of English at that session, and we were quite able to communicate (thanks to the games!). It seems to me that she was enjoying it a lot, too.
Apart from that, practically every school has a speaking club, and it is common practice that it is free for the students of this school, and costs a really symbolic price for everybody else (in our school it's 25 hrn., and I think it's around the same in other schools)

Анатолий89
30.08.2012, 15:30
Oh my God. What are you talking about))) I want to learn English((

Bagirapuss
30.08.2012, 15:44
Oh my God. What are you talking about))) I want to learn English((

That's what we're doing! Welcome on board, join in, and suggest a topic!

kapkanda
02.09.2012, 09:28
well, Мояришка, you are wrong. Bagirapuss said it correctly. And you, Мояришка, rather than spending so much time either on spying or on loooking for bargains, you'd better open some grammar reference book and brush up on your tag questions. Sorry, шо и в эту дуру я тоже залез. :) but every time I read your comments I feel rather tempted to do so:)

kapkanda
02.09.2012, 12:55

which address? It's obvious you have been attending cheap English classes:) you have the cheek to correct others

Lika--
03.09.2012, 00:03
Kapkanda... Somebody's going to "invoke wrath" making comments like that! Besides, haven't you heard "judge not, that ye be not judged"! You're quite a character))))

Мояришка
03.09.2012, 05:30
Has anyone had an experiance of working abroad? I think it would be very interesting to read about. And please you are welcome to correct my mistakes.

Мояришка
03.09.2012, 05:35
well, Мояришка, you are wrong. Bagirapuss said it correctly. And you, Мояришка, rather than spending so much time either on spying or on loooking for bargains, you'd better open some grammar reference book and brush up on your tag questions. Sorry, шо и в эту дуру я тоже залез. :) but every time I read your comments I feel rather tempted to do so:)

O_o i just wanted someone to explain me why "is it" and i had a good explanation. You know, you remind me "огромного тролля"...

Larisa_F
03.09.2012, 06:05
I'll start the game in some way. I will be add new words that was encountered that seemed interesting to me. And I will consider their useing for constructing sentences until it become familiar. If my words are
new for you too, join or add your own words.
P.s. If you note mistakes point to them please.

Larisa_F
03.09.2012, 06:09
I'm beginning.
Encounter [inkavnte] неожиданно встретить, натолкнуться.
To encounter an old acquaintance...
We encounter so many problems in our work...

Larisa_F
03.09.2012, 06:11
Consider [kenside] рассматривать, обсуждать, принимать во внимание, учитывать, задумать, предполагать, намеревается (сделать что– то),
To consider a request...
To consider a proposal...
To consider a question...
To consider a claim...
Let me consider a little...
To consider a job in the city...
An act no normal man would consider...
All things considered...
We consider him a clever man...
We consider that you are not to blame...
I consider myself happy...
Consider yourself at home...
If you consider it necessary...
To consider others...
To consider feelings others...

kapkanda
03.09.2012, 08:10
Kapkanda... Somebody's going to "invoke wrath" making comments like that! Besides, haven't you heard "judge not, that ye be not judged"! You're quite a character))))

Not at all. Gentle and fluffy.Мояришка knows why I am slightly having a go on her. Mind you "slightly". :) I won't any more

Bagirapuss
03.09.2012, 10:20
Let me consider a little...
We consider that you are not to blame...

These three don't sound quite "English" to me. I wouldn't use the word "consider" in these contexts: what I'd say, respectively, is:
- Let me see...
- We are not blaming you... / We don't regard it as your fault... / We see no fault of yours..., etc.
- Make yourself at home!

These are not exactly mistakes, it only sounds a bit awkward.

To consider feelings others...

This one, however, is incorrect in its structure, which makes it unclear in meaning. You might mean either: "Consider the others' feelings" , or "Consider other feelings" - do you see the difference?

In general, it can be considered as a nice way of enriching vocabulary. Only I would suggest that the sentences you make be whole sentences representing a clear context. Like this:

A. - Why don't you move to live in the city? Have you ever considered it at all?

B. - Basically, I prefer living in the country: it's quiet, clean, and less stressful. On the other hand, the city offers better job opportunities... All things considered, I could consider a job in the city, but not moving to live there.

Sounds a bit funny: I have been trying to use "consider" as many times as I possibly could, it sometimes produces a rather funny effect. Sure, in real communication we'd be using synonyms :), but this is a purely technical vocabulary exercise. When I was a student, we would often do it. I hope you'll like the idea.

ValVed
03.09.2012, 13:18

Make yourself at home!

More likely people will say - Make yourself comfortable!

I heard this American idiom hundreds times in CA.

ValVed
03.09.2012, 13:20
Thank you for your time, Bagirapuss.

Bagirapuss
03.09.2012, 13:23
"Make yourself comfortable" has a wider meaning than "Make yourself at home": one can make oneself comfortable anywhere (train, bus, a chair, etc.). "Make yourself at home" goes only with the situation when you are visiting someone's home, or, on some occasions, office.
However, it's always "make", and never "consider".

ValVed
03.09.2012, 14:20
OK. I agry with you.

Larisa_F
04.09.2012, 06:21
I took these expressions in the dictionary, and for lack of experience did not know how they are applied in real life. Thanks for the correction

Bagirapuss
04.09.2012, 13:01
I took these expressions in the dictionary, and for lack of experience did not know how they are applied in real life. Thanks for the correction

You are very welcome. After all, that's why we are all here: to develop through gaining more experience.
However, we seem to be too focused on the language as such, and we ought to be using it for a communicative purpose. It seems to me I've got some idea as to how to distract you from just language and mistakes :)
Here is the quiz I made up and used at one of the immersions in our school ("Discover Odessa"). Our participants had a brain-ring game with these questions, and found them interesting. Can you answer them?

1. Most of the historical buildings in Odessa are built from soft limestone. What other worldwide known city is built from the same material?

2. The first street name shields were written in two languages. Which ones?

3. On 30.April 1854, a British steamer frigate named “Tiger” got stranded and sank near the coastline of Odessa. One of the cannons from this ship can be seen now in Primorski Boulevard, next to the city Duma building. Since it was mounted there, it was fired only once. What kind of event did it mark?

4. The main lighthouse of Odessa is called the Vorontsovskiy lighthouse. It was first built in 1862, and twice rebuilt since. Name its call sign in Morse Code.

5. What's the Duke's full name?

6. Which of the Russian Emperors was bribed by the community of Odessa, and what exactly was the bribe?

7. Before the opening of the monument to A. E. Nudelman (Boulevard of Arts), the KGB instructor responsible for the ceremony, when asked what kind of speech ought to be pronounced, replied: “Open the monument to Unknown Nudelman”. What made him give such a ridiculous answer?

8. What musical instrument did Sashka play, and where did he do it?

9. Where in Deribasovskaya can you find a steam locomotive?

10. Where can you find the Ostap Bender Square, and what can you see in the centre of it?

11. When the monument to Catherine II in Ekaterininskaya Square was restored in 2007, some presumed that it might be offensive to the Turkish nation. What was the reason for that?

12. The monument in Ekaterininskaya Square includes a statue of Catherine II, as well as four other figures. Who are they?

Мояришка
04.09.2012, 17:46
omg i can answer only 10th question without google :(

Bagirapuss
04.09.2012, 19:32

It's OK: if you use Google, it means that you'll have to read and search for the info you need. Google will not give you a ready-made answer to the questions - only texts that contain the answers. So, you'll be developing a useful skill!

Lika--
05.09.2012, 09:51
Bagirapuss, I've always thought that I know Odessa pretty well... and all those stories connected to the historical places.... but reading your questions made me think maybe I do not know it that well afterwards. It's sad, but on the other hand, when you have a chance to discover new things about your own city (even if you were born in it), it makes life so much more interesting=)

Bagirapuss
05.09.2012, 14:58
Bagirapuss, I've always thought that I know Odessa pretty well... and all those stories connected to the historical places.... but reading your questions made me think maybe I do not know it that well afterwards. It's sad, but on the other hand, when you have a chance to discover new things about your own city (even if you were born in it), it makes life so much more interesting=)

Sure! That's the whole point. There is always room for perfection :)
Our participants managed these questions with relative ease - but then, they were working in teams! On the other hand, they didn't have a chance to use Google, but you do. And I did make sure that the necessary info is possible to find in the net.

Bagirapuss
11.09.2012, 13:01
Since nobody has come up with any answers, I feel it is fair to post the key to the quiz now. Some of you might have ideas you'd like to check! So, here it is.
Key

1. Jerusalem
2. Russian and Italian
3.The first Humourine – festival of humour (1. April)
4. --- (dash – dash – dash: letter O for Odessa in Morse Code)
5. Armand Emmanuel Sophie Septimani du Plaissi de Richelieu
6. Paul II – a load of oranges
7. Nudelman was a rocket engineer, his work was top secret, nothing could possibly be mentioned in the speech.
8. “Gambrinus” - Deribasovskaya
9. The roof of “Passage” - Deribasovskaya
10. The City Garden, Deribasovskaya – with a chair in the middle
11. Catherine II is standing on the Turkish flag
12. Platon Zubov, Joseph de Ribas, Grigori Potyomkin, Franz de Volant

kapkanda
13.09.2012, 20:12

Педун на лицо :)

Larisa_F
14.09.2012, 03:43
I waited impatiently for answers)

Bagirapuss
14.09.2012, 10:07
I waited impatiently for answers)

Now that you've got them - is there anything you knew before? Is there anything that really surprised you? Anything you could have guessed or predicted without directly knowing?

Мояришка
14.09.2012, 19:04
Педун на лицо :)

а я не училась в педуне :р

kapkanda
15.09.2012, 08:43
Wherewhere you studied you don't know much about your home town

kapkanda
16.09.2012, 08:07

quote "ну я со знанием 7го класса школы поступила на инЯз в педун на бюджет без всяких курсов и доп. занятий. через 6 лет после того самого 7го класса и что?" - go and have a good look at the Chkalovkie kursy discussion.
Мояришка, I may be a big troll , you are, on the other hand, an absolutely pointless piece of work.

Мояришка
16.09.2012, 09:10
quote "ну я со знанием 7го класса школы поступила на инЯз в педун на бюджет без всяких курсов и доп. занятий. через 6 лет после того самого 7го класса и что?" - go and have a good look at the Chkalovkie kursy discussion.
Мояришка, I may be a big troll , you are, on the other hand, an absolutely pointless piece of work.

maybe ты не понимаешь что поступить в педун и учиться в педуне это 2 большие разницы???? maybe you're a big big troll? Или ты думаешь что если я поступила туда, то обязательно должна там учиться? Это ж не рабство и есть такая замечательная вещь, как отчисление по собственному желанию.

Bagirapuss
16.09.2012, 10:36
maybe ты не понимаешь что поступить в педун и учиться в педуне это 2 большие разницы???? maybe you're a big big troll? Или ты думаешь что если я поступила туда, то обязательно должна там учиться? Это ж не рабство и есть такая замечательная вещь, как отчисление по собственному желанию.

Don't you think you are getting too excited :)
If I were you, I'd just ignore those comments. They are in Russian - and you are here to practice your English. And why do you have to care anyway?

Мояришка
17.09.2012, 12:53
If I were you, I'd just ignore those comments. They are in Russian - and you are here to practice your English. And why do you have to care anyway?

Hmm I don't care, I just used to answer every question, don't know why.

Мояришка
17.09.2012, 12:54

Bagirapuss
17.09.2012, 13:25

You probably mean you are used to answering any question, right?
Must be a habit from school :) But in this case, you are just being provoked to break into Russian. Can't you see that? :)

Мояришка
17.09.2012, 15:50
Must be a habit from school :) But in this case, you are just being provoked to break into Russian. Can't you see that? :)

ok so shoot me :)

Bagirapuss
17.09.2012, 16:18
ok so shoot me :)
For what? I'm not the one to be taken in like that :) That guy Kapkanda wants us to start the shooting - but we want to enjoy our English!
What matters to me is what we want :)
Can you see the difference between "used to do smth." and "be used to doing smth."?

kapkanda
17.09.2012, 16:36
For what? I'm not the one to be taken in like that :) That guy Kapkanda wants us to start the shooting - but we want to enjoy our English!
Can you see the difference between "used to do smth." and "be used to doing smth."?
No, she can't see the difference. Мояришка is looking for a cheap school as her English is good enough for B2 or C1. The difference between "used to and be/get used to" do at A2 level. However, the latter is an insult for our Мояришка. I am not big, I am quite small, gentle and fluffy BTW. :)

{Добролюбов}
17.09.2012, 16:36
London is the capital of Great Britain!!!!!
It is a nice "chat"! Good place to remember some English words, especially to practice writing.

kapkanda
17.09.2012, 16:44
See what? My comment was in English, I put though Мояришка's quote, which was in Russian. You probably think she is just incapable of answering in English.
Bagirapuss, no intention of provoking anybody. only facts

Bagirapuss
17.09.2012, 18:37
London is the capital of Great Britain!!!!!

Indeed????????? oO :)

It is a nice "chat"! Good place to remember some English words, especially to practice writing.
Hope so. Welcome on board! It's always nice to meet someone new.

Bagirapuss
17.09.2012, 18:42
No, she can't see the difference. Мояришка is looking for a cheap school as her English is good enough for B2 or C1. The difference between "used to and be/get used to" do at A2 level. However, the latter is an insult for our Мояришка. I am not big, I am quite small, gentle and fluffy BTW. :)
She may be looking for a cheap school, or for a cheap pair of trainers, - it doesn't matter to me in the least. Here she is trying to practice her English, and I am happy to help her - or anyone for that matter.
Note that we are all here with pretty varied levels, however, this is not a study group, so who cares?

Lika--
17.09.2012, 19:27
She may be looking for a cheap school, or for a cheap pair of trainers, - it doesn't matter to me in the least. Here she is trying to practice her English, and I am happy to help her - or anyone for that matter.
Note that we are all here with pretty varied levels, however, this is not a study group, so who cares?

You're so right! It looks like Kapkanda's got something personal with Мояришка, that's why he keeps bothering her... Being so "pushy" he scares people away.

Bagirapuss, what's your favourite movie in English from the English teacher's point of view?

kapkanda
17.09.2012, 19:49
You're so right! It looks like Kapkanda's got something personal with Мояришка, that's why he keeps bothering her... Being so "pushy" he scares people away.
merely winding her up.
Lika--, "never live with fear or regret". Who said that? :)

Мояришка
17.09.2012, 20:06

yes, of course i see the difference. I used to chat online in one game, where the faster u write is the better for everyone, so noone payed any attention on grammar, or etc. So that's why it's hard for me to write right :)
But please correct me, i like to learn.

Мояришка
17.09.2012, 20:06

yes, of course i see the difference. I used to chat online in one game, where the faster u write is the better for everyone, so noone payed any attention on grammar, or etc. So that's why it's hard for me to write right :)

Lika--
18.09.2012, 07:46
merely winding her up.
Lika--, "never live with fear or regret". Who said that? :)
And yes you're so good at it!

Don't know... who said that?

Bagirapuss
18.09.2012, 07:53
Oh, I see. But in this case, incorrect grammar just changed the meaning. As you wrote here, you used to chat online in a game - I understand that you aren't doing it any more.
But in that post, you meant that you had a habit of answering questions, so "I'm used to" would be in place.

kapkanda
18.09.2012, 17:53
And yes you're so good at it!

Don't know... who said that?

George Orwell, the writer of 1984 and Animal Farm

Lika--
19.09.2012, 08:13
oh great! now I know!=) Thanks for enlightening me!

Мояришка
19.09.2012, 19:54
Oh, I see. But in this case, incorrect grammar just changed the meaning. As you wrote here, you used to chat online in a game - I understand that you aren't doing it any more.
But in that post, you meant that you had a habit of answering questions, so "I'm used to" would be in place.

yes, i see what you mean and understood my mistake, thanks :) but still you've got my point, other way you wouldn't correct me :)

Bagirapuss
20.09.2012, 09:17
yes, i see what you mean and understood my mistake, thanks :) but still you've got my point, other way you wouldn't correct me :)

Oh, yes, I did get your point, but I'm afraid that's only because I am a teacher, and this is a very typical mistake. A native wouldn't percept it as a mistake at all, they'd just get the wrong meaning, and they'd think it a bit weird.

Paddington
20.09.2012, 12:45
You are very welcome. After all, that's why we are all here: to develop through gaining more experience.
However, we seem to be too focused on the language as such, and we ought to be using it for a communicative purpose. It seems to me I've got some idea as to how to distract you from just language and mistakes :)
Here is the quiz I made up and used at one of the immersions in our school ("Discover Odessa"). Our participants had a brain-ring game with these questions, and found them interesting. Can you answer them?

1. Most of the historical buildings in Odessa are built from soft limestone. What other worldwide known city is built from the same material?

2. The first street name shields were written in two languages. Which ones?

3. On 30.April 1854, a British steamer frigate named “Tiger” got stranded and sank near the coastline of Odessa. One of the cannons from this ship can be seen now in Primorski Boulevard, next to the city Duma building. Since it was mounted there, it was fired only once. What kind of event did it mark?

4. The main lighthouse of Odessa is called the Vorontsovskiy lighthouse. It was first built in 1862, and twice rebuilt since. Name its call sign in Morse Code.

5. What's the Duke's full name?

6. Which of the Russian Emperors was bribed by the community of Odessa, and what exactly was the bribe?

7. Before the opening of the monument to A. E. Nudelman (Boulevard of Arts), the KGB instructor responsible for the ceremony, when asked what kind of speech ought to be pronounced, replied: “Open the monument to Unknown Nudelman”. What made him give such a ridiculous answer?

8. What musical instrument did Sashka play, and where did he do it?

9. Where in Deribasovskaya can you find a steam locomotive?

10. Where can you find the Ostap Bender Square, and what can you see in the centre of it?

11. When the monument to Catherine II in Ekaterininskaya Square was restored in 2007, some presumed that it might be offensive to the Turkish nation. What was the reason for that?

12. The monument in Ekaterininskaya Square includes a statue of Catherine II, as well as four other figures. Who are they?

Oh, I can nremember this quiz! I am still proud that I guessed the answer to No. 4! :)
Did you have this immersion again this year?

Bagirapuss
20.09.2012, 13:14
Oh, I can nremember this quiz! I am still proud that I guessed the answer to No. 4! :)
Did you have this immersion again this year?

I think I remember you! Your team won that time, right? :)
No, we haven't had exactly the same immersion since, but we had a similar one: "Maritime cities". It included a boat ride, and a visit to the Museum of the Sea Port.

kapkanda
21.09.2012, 16:13
oh great! now I know!=) Thanks for enlightening me!
Another one "Going through hell? - Keep going!" Who said that? One little hint: he didn't like to surrender.

kapkanda
21.09.2012, 16:20
Oh, yes, I did get your point, but I'm afraid that's only because I am a teacher, and this is a very typical mistake. A native wouldn't percept it as a mistake at all, they'd just get the wrong meaning, and they'd think it a bit weird.
"a native" ? :) I would avoid that :) Also , what does 'percept" mean? Bagirapuss, I live and learn with you every day:) Bagirapuss, aren't you missing "is" or "sound" after "it" in the last sentence

Lika--
21.09.2012, 18:21
"a native" ? :) I would avoid that :) Also , what does 'percept" mean? Bagirapuss, I live and learn with you every day:) Bagirapuss, aren't you missing "is" or "sound" after "it" in the last sentence

it's probably a slip, what would we do without your comments?))) you're always on your guard!=)

Bagirapuss
21.09.2012, 18:38
I see what you mean about "a native"... It makes you think of a crowd of naked black guys with painted faces armed with spears, right? :)
However, "percept" is a rightful synonym of "perceive", at least, according to the dictionary. I might be a bit spoilt by reading too much professional literature in psychology, though. As to the last sentence - no, I am not leaving out anything. Sorry, but this is an existing structure...

"How pleasant to know Mr. Lear
Who has written such volumes of stuff!
Some think him ill-tempered and queer,
But a few think him pleasant enough!" :)

Lika--
21.09.2012, 21:41
I see what you mean about "a native"... It makes you think of a crowd of naked black guys with painted faces armed with spears, right? :)
However, "percept" is a rightful synonym of "perceive", at least, according to the dictionary. I might be a bit spoilt by reading too much professional literature in psychology, though. As to the last sentence - no, I am not leaving out anything. Sorry, but this is an existing structure...

For those interested in structures like that, i found this http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/40795/omitting-is-like-in-i-think-it-strange

It is used, but not that often... and it kind of sounds unusual=)

kapkanda
22.09.2012, 16:31

I am not saying it is all wrong, just nitpicking. Forgive me if you can :)

kapkanda
22.09.2012, 16:38
it's probably a slip, what would we do without your comments?))) you're always on your guard!=)
Lika--, without my comments you would not be as careful while writing as you are now. I am not saying that everything I say is correct. I am sure there is plenty of rubbish or discrepancies in my comments. Big the big big troll also wants to have some fun and "enjoy his English" :)

Paddington
26.09.2012, 15:27
Finally have I managed to place that poem! It had been constantly on my mind for a couple of days? it sounded so familiar, but I couldn't place it :) It was in a book I used to have? it was called "Topsy-Turvey World", and it was very old. I don't know what I have done with it - not after having moved house twice since... Does anyone remember it? Or maybe someone still has it? I'd love to borrow it for a couple of days, just to scan and to have a digital copy!

Dmitry2006
16.10.2012, 13:22
Hi people.
I need an advice. Imagine a situation: you received some letter, read it and want to reply. What following phrase is correct:

Hi Alan.
a) I have read your letter you sent me.
b) I have read your letter you had sent me.
c) I read your letter you had sent me.

Thanks in advance.

Bagirapuss
16.10.2012, 13:59
Hi people.
I need an advice. Imagine a situation: you received some letter, read it and want to reply. What following phrase is correct:

Hi Alan.

Thanks in advance.

The first one - only that I'd rather say: "I've read the letter you sent me" - just for the sake of better style (to avoid repeating "your" and "you")...
Besides, the word "advice" is uncountable, so you cannot use the indefinite article with it. You can say: "I need advice", or "I need a piece of advice".

Dmitry2006
16.10.2012, 14:52
The first one - only that I'd rather say: "I've read the letter you sent me" - just for the sake of better style (to avoid repeating "your" and "you")...
Besides, the word "advice" is uncountable, so you cannot use the indefinite article with it. You can say: "I need advice", or "I need a piece of advice".

Thanks for your answer. Could you clarify why Past Perfect is not correct in the second part of the sentence? This action (he sent the letter) happened before I read it.

Bagirapuss
16.10.2012, 16:10
Thanks for your answer. Could you clarify why Past Perfect is not correct in the second part of the sentence? This action (he sent the letter) happened before I read it.

This sentence is formally incorrect: though you are speaking about the past, you are using the Present Perfect teense in the first part of the sentence. This automatically means that the auxiliary (have) in the second part has to be in its Present form ("have", not "had"). If you used Present Perfect in both parts of the sentence, it would be OK from the viewpoint of a grammar book, but rather strange-sounding from the viewpoint of native speaking.

This sentence is formally correct, but it is incorrect from the viewpoint of the situation you described in your post. As far as I can understand, you are replying to a recent e-mail. Past Simple + Past Perfect, however, refers the reader deeper into the past. It suggests that a kind of story in Past Simple is going to follow.

Ex.: "I read the letter you had sent to me before, and I thought you were planning a trip. So, I decided to put off my visit to you, but apparently, you didn't mean it that way.... "

As you can see, this combination of tenses requires a certain set of circumstances to be used.

Overall, it was just right of you to use Present Perfect for the first part of the sentence (One of the classical uses - Present Perfect for immediate result). But it is a mistake to combine it with Past Perfect, since formally, Present Perfect is a Present tense. So, it is enough to use Past Simple for the second part is quite enough to imply that the second action took place before the first.

efilatov
25.10.2012, 22:05
I'd expect this thread to be more pupular on our forum :) It seems not so many people are eager to speak English here.

ValVed
25.10.2012, 22:17
Maybe we should speak about funny things in our life ( not politics).

Maybe movie – comedy.

Bagirapuss
26.10.2012, 13:14
Well, finding conversation topics is not at all easy! It's by far not enough to say: "Let's talk in English!" :)
Such situations remind me of a certain kind of family gettogethers, when really distant relatives celebrate, say, someone's wedding. Many of them see each other for the first time, and nobody knows what they are supposed to talk about - at least, not until they've had a few drinks :)

When I was a child, I used to absolutely hate being taken to such parties. At a certain stage, someone's aunt or granny would discover that two kids - myself and some cousin God-knows-how-many-times-removed - both spoke German. So, the two of us would be asked to sit next to each other, and next thing we knew, the whole crowd would be staring at us, and saying: "Now, speak German to each other!" :) Can you imagine how it felt - given that the two of us were actually seeing each other for the first time ever? :)

It seems to me that here, the situation is somewhat similar.
Anyway, it is evident that we all do have an area of interest in common, and that's language learning, right? So, why don't we just share our language learning expereinces? What was it like when you first started learning English, or another language? What seemed to be the most difficult, and what came easy? What was fun, and what seemed boring? What would you change if you could travel back in time and start it all over again?
I think it would be valuable for both students and teachers of English, don't you?

Lika--
26.10.2012, 15:54
It seems to me that here, the situation is somewhat similar.
I agree with you on that.

My first real experience would be ... I think it was when I was 12 years old, I had a flu and had to stay in bed. I was bored (no Internet back then), so i somehow came across an English self-study book. I couldn't have enough of it! I just loved the fact that every day I could learn words and then understand the actual texts. Even though I had started learning the language 6 years before that, that period was a real breakthrough. I told my dad I wanted to start taking English lessons at a foreigh language school. I was so much into it! The only thing I can add is "it's love!")))

I think if you love something, you enjoy doing it and you're hardworking enough, it will pay off in the end. In my case, so many opportunities opned in front of me because of English. I would not be what I am now without it. I would not meet all these people from around the world who really made a difference for me personally and professionally.

When someone's learning any laguage, it's a good sign if you start seeing dreams in that language. I remember that feeling very well. I woke up in the middle of the night and started screeming (I was 13)! My mom almost got a heart attack, she just couldn't grasp it why someone would be so thrilled about that! It meant a lot to me!=) As I know it for a fact now, if something like that happens to you, you can be sure you're on the right track and your language skills are improving.

What about you, Bagirapuss? Your story?=)

Bagirapuss
27.10.2012, 12:47
Oh, my story is somewhat similar to yours - it's also connected with a book. As far as I can remember myself, I have always loved reading. Books are like drugs to me, it's an addiction.
Once, when I was about 12, my parents sent me to Odessa for the summer, to stay with Granny and granddad. At tht time, we were living in Ismail, for dad's job was there.
Now, the trouble with granny and granddad was that they practically never read anything, and they didn't have books at home at all (apart from granny's cookery books). Well, I do love coking - but not to the extent of reading just cookery books all summer! I did try to borrow books from a library, but they kept giving me just children's books - they had some supid instructions related to the age of the readers. However, a book of the "recommended" kind only lasted me for about half an hour. After a couple of weeks, I grew really desparate!
I sarted searching some drawers with my great-grandma's things (she had died just recently, and some of her things were still there). One day, I found a coursebook of English grammar. It was really old - somethying like 150 years - but I felt really happy, even though it was intended for speakers of French, and all the insructions were in French. At that time, I couldn't read in French yet, and I just had an idea of how to read Englis words. But the book had funny stories, fables, poems, and fairy tales. The exercises had some rather weird sentences, but surprisingly, the instructions were not really needed: it was very clear what you are supposed to do. And it was very easy to figure out the meanings of the words from the context, and the words were very cleverly recycled in every unit, too. So, it was a really good book, though very old.
Even so, it took me ages to get through it - which was only to the better, since I didn't have any other books to read anyway. By the end of the summer, I found out I could express myself in English to some extent, which surprised me a lot. When I went back to school, I tried it out on our English teacher first thing. With not much success, though: she was delighted, and gave me top marks all the time, but she just didn't understand about two thirds of what I was saying... When I went to University, I took up German, because it didn't make any sense to start English all over again.
I think what helped me most at the very first stages was the wonderful quality of my first book. It was made so well that you just couldn't put it away. There are a lot of books available now, but I still haven't seen a book better than that old grammar book for French speakers!

Lika--
29.10.2012, 10:15
So, at the beginning there was a book... and circumstances=)
An English coursebook which is that old! It's amazing! Is it still in your family?

Bagirapuss
29.10.2012, 12:14
So, at the beginning there was a book... and circumstances=)
An English coursebook which is that old! It's amazing! Is it still in your family?
Yes, of course. It's now of sentimental value to me. The home library is really huge, and there are quite some books that are that old. There is even a book of poems by Pushkin printed when he was still living. Of course, these books are kept in a special bookcase, which is not even jpened very often. Now I am old enough to know how fragile jld books really are.

kapkanda
30.10.2012, 16:13
Hi people.

Hi Alan.

Thanks in advance.
Just say "Great to hear from you"

Bagirapuss
30.10.2012, 16:25
Just say "Great to hear from you"

Not bad an idea, rather informal, though.

kapkanda
30.10.2012, 22:12
Not bad an idea, rather informal, though.
"Thank you very much for your promt response" Is it any better?

Bagirapuss
31.10.2012, 09:14
"Thank you very much for your promt response" Is it any better?

It's not better or worse - just more formal.
Are you trying to deliver a master-class on letter writing here? Good idea, I am sure it'll be of great use to many here.

K@TёNoK
31.10.2012, 09:57
Hello for everybody_)
I'm Kate)
Wanna chat with you here) Can I?

kapkanda
31.10.2012, 16:37
Hello for everybody_)
I'm Kate)
Wanna chat with you here) Can I?

gotta wait, me too busy, ini?

kapkanda
31.10.2012, 16:38
It's not better or worse - just more formal.
Are you trying to deliver a master-class on letter writing here? Good idea, I am sure it'll be of great use to many here.
No, just showing off :)

Bagirapuss
31.10.2012, 21:59
No, just showing off :)
Why the ... not? Do it, it'll be useful... I feel you'd enjoy it. By the way, I'd benefit from that, too. I never know how to finish the letter, by the way :)

kapkanda
31.10.2012, 22:22
Why the ... not? Do it, it'll be useful... I feel you'd enjoy it. By the way, I'd benefit from that, too. I never know how to finish the letter, by the way :)
are you winding me up? :)

Bagirapuss
01.11.2012, 09:13
are you winding me up? :)

Yes, I am. I always wind people up to do useful things (useful for me first and foremost, of course :))

remeslo
01.11.2012, 09:44
Hi everyone.
I desided to join yor club and i will try to find some time to write here.
I am an attorney at law, and, maybe, i can help you in this matter.
My English is bad and I want to remember it from my childhood because I need it in my work.
Plese advise me if you know something about the free english - speaking clubs on sundays in Odessa.

Let's ceep in touch :)

kapkanda
01.11.2012, 17:43
H.
Plese advise me if you know something about the free english - speaking clubs on sundays in Odessa.

free cheese in a mouse trap.

remeslo
01.11.2012, 20:56
i realy heard about them

Lika--
02.11.2012, 13:36
free cheese in a mouse trap.

I wouldn't agree with you on that. You sound too pessimistic. I've had an experience participating in all sorts of clubs in Odessa over the last 10 years... and guess what?! No traps were spotted!))) People who come there are interesting and fun to be around. On the other hand, I can understant your viewpoint here very well. This gives people a free access to natives and to other people who are "into english". This, in its turn, might be considered a threat by different language schools that have conversational clubs of their own. There is nothing bad about free clubs and nothing too good as well. It's a nice way to spend time with friends, more like a hobby. It cannot be seen as a way of actually learning the language.

Lika--
02.11.2012, 13:53
Hi everyone.
I desided to join yor club and i will try to find some time to write here.
I am an attorney at law, and, maybe, i can help you in this matter.
My English is bad and I want to remember it from my childhood because I need it in my work.

There are a lot of different English clubs in Odessa. Keep looking and you'll find them. To be honest, they will not really help to boost your English language skills, but what they might help you with is sustain your level, but not improve it. Besides, most of the free clubs are crowded and for you to have your say you'll have to wait a long time. Therefore, it's not that efficient as it might seem.

remeslo
02.11.2012, 15:08
thanks for all for your messeges. Maybe some of you can recomende any club even if it is not free, but interesying, fun and useful?

remeslo
02.11.2012, 15:13
and one more thing - my problem is - i can inderstand (i belive) ~ 85 -90 % of that i hear or what i read, BUT , it is a big problem for me to say/write somthing more than from "pre-intermediate" level. Thats why i try to find a useful exercises? for example - spaeking klub for speaking and somthing like this forum for writing..

kapkanda
02.11.2012, 16:31
There are a lot of different English clubs in Odessa. Keep looking and you'll find them. To be honest, they will not really help to boost your English language skills, but what they might help you with is sustain your level, but not improve it. Besides, most of the free clubs are crowded and for you to have your say you'll have to wait a long time. Therefore, it's not that efficient as it might seem.
The reason for that is that those clubs (in most cases) are not conducted professionally and therefore participants are not provided with enough speaking practice If there are a lot of people, they can work in groups, pairs, teams. It doesn't matter how many people turn up.
BTW: every (almost every) English school has an English Speaking Club.

efilatov
11.11.2012, 01:59
and one more thing - my problem is - i can inderstand (i belive) ~ 85 -90 % of that i hear

i was thinking the same about my english level until I got a chance to speak a lot with people from Scotland :)
try it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGKoekcThLE&feature=related

_Nady_
16.11.2012, 21:23
GD. I think it is better to speak/chat with native speaker using skype/telephone. I have friend from GB and he helps me with my English so much. I use English in my work in different ways: speaking-writing-reading and I have to speak with foreigners by telephone. In first times I was scared, had faltering voice...but I tried to speak more and more ..At the moment I forgot my "English fear" and try to improve my English speaking skills

Bagirapuss
17.11.2012, 12:41
GD. I think it is better to speak/chat with native speaker using skype/telephone. I have friend from GB and he helps me with my English so much. I use English in my work in different ways: speaking-writing-reading and I have to speak with foreigners by telephone. In first times I was scared, had faltering voice...but I tried to speak more and more ..At the moment I forgot my "English fear" and try to improve my English speaking skills
It's great if it works for you. You are lucky! Quite a lot of people, however, feel really awkward talking by telephone, and there are even special lessons devised to0 help overcomew this awkwardness. And anyway, I don't think any phone, or skype, oe whatsoever, can really substitute live communication.

sishiest
17.11.2012, 13:31
As for me any practice of language is usefull.
I learned Englist at school and, due to the best teacher I had, I liked this language. Than I continued improving my Englist in university, all was sucessful, but than was about period for about 3 years when I did not used Englist. I understood that it will influence on my pronunciation, on my grammar and list of words - and I faced with all this problems.
Lucky I was, that I found job, where I could practice my Englist. First 2-3 months was really hard for me. I forgot almost all I knew. This was a chance for me to start all from the begining. I became more confidence and I was not afraid to speak with our foreign suppliers.
To be in my best shape of English speaking - it took me almost 1 year.

I do not like writting, because, as for me, the best way to keep and improve Englist level is speaking.

Bagirapuss
17.11.2012, 13:45
As for me any practice of language is usefull.
I learned Englist at school and, due to the best teacher I had, I liked this language. Than I continued improving my Englist in university, all was sucessful, but than was about period for about 3 years when I did not used Englist. I understood that it will influence on my pronunciation, on my grammar and list of words - and I faced with all this problems.
Lucky I was, that I found job, where I could practice my Englist. First 2-3 months was really hard for me. I forgot almost all I knew. This was a chance for me to start all from the begining. I became more confidence and I was not afraid to speak with our foreign suppliers.
To be in my best shape of English speaking - it took me almost 1 year.

I do not like writting, because, as for me, the best way to keep and improve Englist level is speaking.

Well, by this post, I can tell you still have a lot of room for perfectionj in English :) But then, no one is perfect, not even native speakers.
As cfor speaking being the best way to keep up and improve your language level - well, personally I stand up for harmonious development of all language skills. If you want to have a really high level of English one day, you need practice in all areas: reading, writing, speaking, and listening. But getting practice in speaking appears to be the most problematic: you don't have to depend on anyone to practice reading, writing, or listening: you can always read a book, or a magazine, or a web site. You can always write on forums, or correspond nwith a pen-friend, or take part in an essay contest. You can watch films, or listen to the radio, or get some e-books. All this is not a problem for anyone with a computer and Internet access. For speaking, however, you do depend on a partner. Self-talking can help to some extent, but not everyone is capable of that, and then, your family and friends might catch you doing it, and get it the wrong way :) For real speaking, yopu have to find partners, and that's why people need speaking clubs, look for partners in skype, or try to get some practice by phone.

sishiest
17.11.2012, 14:39
You are right, even now, when it seems I can keep the conversation, my Englist is worse than it was, for example at shcool in 10 grade.
I had a great teacher and she inspired me))) I was not trying to learn language, I love it.
It is not a problem for me to read or write, but when I have chance to speak I use it)

Two years ago I was not able to communicate like now, even if now I'm quite not perfect.

dennitsa
06.02.2013, 15:39
Hi, firends! I very much want to learn English! Certainly general phrases to me are known, but there are no practicians! Generally everything I transport through online - translators :-)

Dmitry2006
07.02.2013, 16:13
Hi.
I'm a little bit confused about questions with passive voice. For example:

What exhibits were represented in the museum?
or
What were exhibits represented on the museum?

Which sentence is correct?

Thanks in advance.

pure_turquoise
07.02.2013, 17:27
Hi.

or

Thanks in advance.

The first one is correct. You cannot separate the question group 'What exhibits'.

dennitsa
07.02.2013, 19:05
Hi.

or

Thanks in advance.

I think that the first option correct

Bagirapuss
08.02.2013, 09:20
Hi.

or

Thanks in advance.

Of course, the first one is correct, and it is passive indeed.
The second one doesn't look like passive. With a minor change, it can be seen as a way to ask about the type of the exhibits:
" - What were the exhibits represented in the museum?
- Well, some flint tools, and some terra cotta..."

Larisa_F
01.04.2013, 05:49
I wouldn't agree with you on that. You sound too pessimistic. I've had an experience participating in all sorts of clubs in Odessa over the last 10 years... and guess what?! No traps were spotted!))) People who come there are interesting and fun to be around. On the other hand, I can understant your viewpoint here very well. This gives people a free access to natives and to other people who are "into english". This, in its turn, might be considered a threat by different language schools that have conversational clubs of their own. There is nothing bad about free clubs and nothing too good as well. It's a nice way to spend time with friends, more like a hobby. It cannot be seen as a way of actually learning the language.
I'm seeing new words for me.
_ trap западня, капкан, ловушка, ставить капканы, личные вещи, багаж, пожитки.
To set a trap...
To walk straight into a trap...

Larisa_F
01.04.2013, 06:17
I'll add new words that I met today with examples of usage to remember. Maybe they will be useful to a next reader. (I hesitate about using word met. Is it
right here?)

Bagirapuss
01.04.2013, 10:33
I'll add new words that I met today with examples of usage to remember. Maybe they will be useful to a next reader. (I hesitate about using word met. Is it
right here?)
It's not really a mistake, though I would rather use "came across" instead, in this context.

Larisa_F
01.04.2013, 16:47
indeed, "came across" is much beter.

Larisa_F
02.04.2013, 10:38
Width — ширина, в ширину
In width...

Bagirapuss
02.04.2013, 12:43
Width — ширина, в ширину
In width...

Who can tell? Translating words is impossible without a context. Give the context in which you came across it, then it'll be possible to come up with adequate translation.

Larisa_F
26.04.2013, 22:33
I've found a joke in English and hope you'll like it in spite of the specific English humour . I give some translation, hope it'll help

A blonde went to an appliance store and found a bargain. "I would like to buy this TV," she told the salesman.
"Sorry, we don't sell to blondes," he replied.
She hurried home and dyed her hair, then came back and again told the salesman, "I would like to buy this TV."
"Darn, he recognized me," she thought.
She went for a complete disguise this time: a brown curly wig, big baggy clothes, and big sunglasses. Then she waited a few days before she approached the salesman again and said, "I would like to buy this TV."
Frustrated, she exclaimed, "How do you know I'm a blonde?"
"Because that's a microwave," he replied.

appliance store - магазин бытовой техники
bargain - выгодная покупка (в магазине)
blonde - блондинка
to dye the hair - окрашивать волосы
darn - черт
disguise - маскировка
wig-парик
baggy - мешковатый (об одежде)
microwave - микроволновка

[ЗАСЕКРЕЧЕНО]
08.06.2013, 10:47
hello-- my name is Igor. I begun teach english on last week. sorry

ValVed
08.06.2013, 10:51
teach ot learn???

Bagirapuss
08.06.2013, 11:51
Hopefully learn :)
Where are you learning it, Igor? Are you in a group, or an individual student? Why do you need English?

moigospodin
01.08.2013, 15:33
hello everyone! Can I join the club??

Dmitry2006
02.08.2013, 08:31

No!:stop:

Ha-ha, do not worry, it is just a joke :)

Faria
02.08.2013, 13:02

Hello! Nice to meet you!

No!:stop:

Ha-ha, do not worry, it is just a joke :)

Ha-ha, you are very friendly:)

ValVed
04.08.2013, 16:56
Hi, there
Welcome to the club!

dennitsa
06.08.2013, 08:49
Friends, hello! tell me about yourself.

moon 2010
11.09.2013, 15:00
Hello,
I would like to join to club too?

dennitsa
12.09.2013, 08:50
Hello,
I would like to join to club too?

Hi! join with pleasure.

ValVed
12.09.2013, 09:05
Welcome to the club. http://www.russian-fiancee.com/rus/forum/images/smilies/ab_hi.gif (http://www.russian-fiancee.com/rus/forum/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=0#) Nice to hear you or nice to see you.
Make yourself at home!

iglagol
26.09.2013, 21:28
Welcome to the club. http://www.russian-fiancee.com/rus/forum/images/smilies/ab_hi.gif (http://www.russian-fiancee.com/rus/forum/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=0#) Nice to hear you or nice to see you.
I am not sure that we can say " join with pleasure". http://www.russian-fiancee.com/rus/forum/images/smilies/u_qu_01.gif (http://www.russian-fiancee.com/rus/forum/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=0#)
I’ve never study English but I can speak English fluently.
Well, "join with pleasure" sounds strange to me, too. In Liverpool, where I come from, we kindly accept comers by saying "make yourself at home" or "you're welcome", which sounds shorter. Is it OK, that I skip virtual "knocking"? I've noticed everybody is admitted. Hope so, you don't mind my participating in "mistake correction movement". "I've never study" makes no sence, you might have meant "I've never studied" instead. Present Perfect seems to be more natural here.

iglagol
26.09.2013, 21:31
Friends, hello! tell me about yourself.
"Yourselves" (you seem to be referring to many people, don't you?)
---------------
As an English teacher, I approve your idea of setting up this chat, but a topic in a forum isn't enough for the goal. A sort of separate forum is needed, branched into as many topics as possible, so that anybody could iniciate discussion on any topic.

iglagol
28.09.2013, 21:18
I'll add new words that I met today with examples of usage to remember.
You're gonna be surprised, but our nation is so sure about the future that we rarely use will + infinitive (generally used to share predictions you ain't sure of). To me, the following sentence would sound more natural: I am going to add the new words I have dealt with today...

pure_turquoise
28.09.2013, 22:06
... will + infinitive (generally used to share predictions you ain't sure of)...

will/won't + bare infinitive:
- offers, promises;
- requests, orders;
- predictions;
- to talk about predictable behaviour, such as habits;
- with verbs hope, think, know, guess, doubt, reckon, believe, imagine, expect
(Scott Thornbury 'Natural Grammar');
- an immediate decision about what you are going to do
(Richard Side and Guy Wellman 'Grammar and Vocabulary for Cambridge Advanced and Proficiency');
- certanty or confidence about present or future situations;
- express willingness or announce a decision;
- a firm intention, a promise or a threat
(Michael Swan 'Practical English Usage')

Grammar notes in some books also explain that 'will' sounds a bit more formal that 'be going to'.

... our nation is so sure about the future ... :good:

iglagol
28.09.2013, 23:37
- a firm intention, a promise or a threat
This is likely to describe "to be + going to"
At least this is why we say "gonna" in Liverpool and the neighbourhood.

iglagol
29.09.2013, 00:31
I've found a joke in English and hope you'll like it in spite of the specific English humour . I give some translation, hope it'll help

A blonde went to an appliance store and found a bargain. "I would like to buy this TV," she told the salesman.
She hurried home and dyed her hair, then came back and again told the salesman, "I would like to buy this TV."
"Darn, he recognized me," she thought.
She went for a complete disguise this time: a brown curly wig, big baggy clothes, and big sunglasses. Then she waited a few days before she approached the salesman again and said, "I would like to buy this TV."
Frustrated, she exclaimed, "How do you know I'm a blonde?"
"Because that's a microwave," he replied.

Collect jokes on female incapacity? Let me share mine.

A woman is desperately trying to get a lift to the airport (she gonna be bloody late for her flight, you know). A car stops near her and she shouts into the window:
"Please, a lift to the aiport, quick... a hundred euros"
The driver (on having hesitated):
"What about a kiss?"
The lady:
"F... off!" -- and the car leaves without her.
But as you know, guys, time waits for nobody, and the longer she keeps waiting, the more nervous she gets. Another car stops and she cries into the window:
"Quick! The aiport! 100 Euro plus a kiss!"
The driver:
"With sex provided?"
"F... off, creepo!" and the car's gone.
But Jesus H. Christ, the time is melting and dying away, what's to be done indeed! The third car stops near her and in despair she shouts:
"The aiport! Quick! 100 EUR! A kiss is promised! With sex provided!"
The driver:
"Do you consider fellatio?"
"F... off, you, creep!" -- and the car's gone.
A real disaster, half an hour before the plane takes off and there's nothing to be done!
Now the fourth car is here to stop and the lady rushes to it:
"A quick lift to the airport, please!! 100 EUR, +kiss, with sex provided and fellatio considered!!"
The driver (his face turning from red to pale): "Gee! I ain't no whore lifter! F.. off!" -- and the car's gone.

pure_turquoise
29.09.2013, 14:16
This is likely to describe "to be + going to"

So you disagree with the authors and think they've made mistakes in these books?

At least this is why we say "gonna" in Liverpool and the neighbourhood.

Not only there. :)
Foreigners mostly study Standard English.
All the Brittish books for teaching give a lot of tasks to distinguish 'will' and 'be going to' again and again in every single book (elementary and up).

dennitsa
30.09.2013, 10:36
"Yourselves" (you seem to be referring to many people, don't you?)
---------------
As an English teacher, I approve your idea of setting up this chat, but a topic in a forum isn't enough for the goal. A sort of separate forum is needed, branched into as many topics as possible, so that anybody could iniciate discussion on any topic.

Probably you meant - initiate ?
It seems to me that communication in this subject quite suits also to me and many users of this forum.

dennitsa
30.09.2013, 10:44
Collect jokes on female incapacity? Let me share mine.

A woman is desperately trying to get a lift to the airport (she gonna be bloody late for her flight, you know). A car stops near her and she shouts into the window:
"Please, a lift to the aiport, quick... a hundred euros"
The driver (on having hesitated):
"What about a kiss?"
The lady:
"F... off!" -- and the car leaves without her.
But as you know, guys, time waits for nobody, and the longer she keeps waiting, the more nervous she gets. Another car stops and she cries into the window:
"Quick! The aiport! 100 Euro plus a kiss!"
The driver:
"With sex provided?"
"F... off, creepo!" and the car's gone.
But Jesus H. Christ, the time is melting and dying away, what's to be done indeed! The third car stops near her and in despair she shouts:
"The aiport! Quick! 100 EUR! A kiss is promised! With sex provided!"
The driver:
"Do you consider fellatio?"
"F... off, you, creep!" -- and the car's gone.
A real disaster, half an hour before the plane takes off and there's nothing to be done!
Now the fourth car is here to stop and the lady rushes to it:
"A quick lift to the airport, please!! 100 EUR, +kiss, with sex provided and fellatio considered!!"
The driver (his face turning from red to pale): "Gee! I ain't no whore lifter! F.. off!" -- and the car's gone.

You misogynist?

iglagol
30.09.2013, 17:31
dennitsa, the only mistake I found was this:

- a firm intention, a promise or a threat which motivates to use "gonna", not the "will" pattern, in the real everyday language.

Probably you meant - initiate ? Exactly, just mind that people from Liverpool and Manchester have spelling alternatives in writing. It's a sort of dialect influence, you know...

You misogynist? Don't worry -- I ain't. What I like is good-quality black humour.

Америго Веспучи
15.10.2013, 16:01
Pls., if someone knows abt english speaking clubs, would you share with the information!!!??? Thanks in advance.

iglagol
15.10.2013, 18:44
13 Pushinskaya, Thursdays at 7 pm
13 Deribasovskaya, Frapolli restaurant, Fridays at 6:30 pm

_Nady_
16.10.2013, 12:51
13 Pushinskaya, Thursdays at 7 pm
13 Deribasovskaya, Frapolli restaurant, Fridays at 6:30 pm

Thank you) How much does it cost? free?

iglagol
16.10.2013, 13:37
Charging money for just coming to talk and make friends? Well, the second place is a restaurant, where you're to pay your meal order only, but this is optionally, I guess.

dennitsa
30.10.2013, 11:49
WHEN I ASK YOU TO LISTEN*
When I ask you to listen to me and you start giving advice and you have not done what I asked.
When I ask you to listen to me and you begin to tell me why I shouldn’t feel that way, you are trampling on my feelings.
When I ask you to listen to me and you feel you have to do something to solve my problem you have failed me, strange as that may seem.
Listen! All I asked, was that you listen not talk or do - just hear me.
Advice is cheap; ten cents will get you both Dear Abby and Billy Graham in the same newspaper, and I can do for myself; I’m not helpless.
When you do something for me that I can and need to do for myself, you contribute to my fear and weakness.
But, when you accept as a simple fact that I do feel what I feel, no matter how irrational, then I can quit trying to convince you and can get about the business of understanding what’s behind this irrational feeling.
And when that’s clear, the answers are obvious and I don’t need advice.
Irrational feelings make sense when we understand what’s behind them.
Perhaps that’s why prayer works, sometimes, for some people because God is mute and he doesn’t give advice or try to fix things.
He “just listens and lets you work it out for yourself.”
So please listen and just hear me. And if you want to talk, wait a minute for your turn; And I’ll listen to you.

*Anonymous: “Listen” was found in David Bailey and Sharon Dreyer’s book, Care of the mentally ill (1977)

what is it? at me the brain blew up :-) what purpose this message?

Kill.me
22.05.2014, 20:10
Оьщение в чате на английском, выучила английский за пол года.до этого только привет пока знала))) еще и денег заработала!
Обращайтесь я вам подскажу ;)

pure_turquoise
22.05.2014, 22:41
выучила английский за пол года.

Весь - весь выучила? Да еще и за полгода? Гениально! ))))))

dennitsa
23.05.2014, 08:47
Оьщение в чате на английском, выучила английский за пол года.до этого только привет пока знала)))

aha, therefore in English you write?

Sva
01.08.2018, 14:53
http://10-steps-to-learn.info/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/английские-модальные-глаголы-для-передачи-вероятности.jpg

Sva
01.08.2018, 14:59
Hey there !

Зайка777
12.10.2018, 14:36
Уважаемые форумчани информация для практики интересно Ваше мнение,прошу прокомментировать,что вы думаете не знаю как загрузить фото в тему сбрасываю ссылку http://forumodua.com/showthread.php?t=3168442

Зайка777
12.10.2018, 14:39
http://static.forumodua.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12904003&d=1539347563
Уважаемые форумчани,для практики, прошу Вас прокомментировать исправления,что думаете?Благодарю

pure_turquoise
12.10.2018, 17:29
http://i.piccy.info/i9/7b6af91df589d691434a83c8de0cd914/1539358178/39203/1274638/attachment_500.jpg (http://piccy.info/view3/12686653/910c07bad65d0c88c881fb1d199996cc/)http://i.piccy.info/a3/2018-10-12-15-29/i9-12686653/450x371-r/i.gif (http://i.piccy.info/a3c/2018-10-12-15-29/i9-12686653/450x371-r)

pure_turquoise
13.10.2018, 09:23
Мне тут "специалисты" в личке комментируют, что "had got" - Past Simple. Мой ответ:

- по форме, в теории, 'had' + 3 форма глагола (Past Participle) - типичный Past Perfect;
- по содержанию - это вряд ли применимо, так как не часто возникает необходимость в такого рода конструкциях;
- 'have got' чаще превращается просто в 'had', когда речь идет о 'possessions in the past'.

I've got a cat. (mostly British English) = I have a cat. (mostly American English)

I had a cat when I was 10. (a fact in the past)